Specialist massage can be of enormous benefit, not only to you, but also to your baby. Massage during pregnancy can support you emotionally and physiologically at a time when your body is undergoing many changes and can help prepare your body for birth.
Preparing for the arrival of a new baby brings much excitement, but also plenty of stress, regular massage can help to reduce stress levels due to its calming effect. Furthermore, research shows that the baby can benefit from massage as ‘feel good’ endorphins released by the mother during massage are passed onto the baby.
As well as giving you some peaceful relaxing time to yourself, pregnancy massage can:
- Stimulate your circulation, helping to distribute nutrients and fluids around your body and to your placenta. Stimulating your circulation will help prevent varicose veins from forming.
- Aid lymphatic drainage, which can help treat puffy ankles and painful swelling caused by water retention.
- Help stimulate a sluggish digestive system.
- Release muscular tension in the shoulders, back and hips, helping to relieve discomfort caused by postural and hormonal changes
- Help relieve nerve compression caused by water retention or muscular tension
- Enhance your relationship with your body, by keeping you connected and in touch with your changing shape
- Be effective in inducing deep relaxation and sleep and creating a sense of wellbeing.
The treatment is tailored to your needs as a pregnant woman. It takes place on a wide and comfortable massage couch, fixed at a lower level than usual, so that it is easier for you to get on and off. You will lie on your side, with your head resting on a pillow, and then use as many pillows and cushions as necessary to support you and your bump and make you as comfortable as possible. You will be covered by towels and only the parts of your body that are being massaged will be exposed.
I use Neal's Yard Remedies Organic Mothers Massage Oil for pregnancy massage treatments. This 100% pure organic skin nourishing massage oil is a relaxing treat that is infused with soothing orange flower, mandarin and sweet almond essential oils, as well as Vitamin E rich wheatgerm oil.
I hour pregnancy massage treatment £40. Gift Vouchers available